Monday, August 27, 2007

Last dog standing

Well, I'm back down to one dog. Copper got adopted this weekend.

I cried like a little baby. I really shouldn't foster ... I let myself get way too attached. It didn't help that I didn't really like the family that much anyway. The woman is a divorced single mother who teaches at Miami University (media law) and is also an attorney. She has two kids, one who is old enough to drive. Her daughter is 16 and drives a BMW, and their father (mom and dad are divorced) is also an attorney. They are definitely not lacking in money, but I did the home inspection the same day I dropped Copper off, and saw their 8 year old Australian Shepherd, who exhibits all the signs of anxiety and nervous behaviors due to not having enough exercise. I kept stressing to them that a simple walk around the block just wasn't going to cut it for Copper, and I don't think it sunk in.

It kills me that Copper probably won't get nearly as much exercise as he needs. I keep telling myself that he will get the best organic dog food on the market and will have kids and another dog to play with and a large fenced in yard to run around in. It is really a good set up ... I just resent these people for taking away a dog that wasn't even mine to begin with.

It doesn't make any sense, but you can't have a dog for 7 months, nurse him back to health and watch him come out of his shell without getting attached.

After I handed over the dog to Barb, I went to visit some friends at Miami University for the weekend. That was fun ... I haven't seen a lot of the people I hung out with in a long time, so it was nice to catch up and keep my mind off of Copper being gone.

Riley is loving his life as the master of the house. Zach is gone, Kaitlin and her puppy Codie are gone ... so Riley and I can finally spend some quality time together. The forces of the universe are restored in the world.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

It does make sense. Even seeing a dog repetitively or getting to know a friend's dog makes you attached. Dog lovers rule!
~Always~

paul said...

Miami University is a nice place to hang out. :P

The last dog we fostered, I named, "Foster." (Which I thought was a pretty clever name for a dog anyway.) We said that we would keep her until they found a home for her.

Her name is now, "Shaney," and her home, is... well... ours.