Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My dog is old

It's official. Riley has arthritis. A very mild case, but arthritis nonetheless.

I think my world crashed in around me when the vet confirmed my suspicions this morning. I can no longer pretend that my teddy bear is going to live forever.

I still take him running with me about 10-15 miles a week, which is less than we were doing over the summer. When the weather started cooling off this fall, I noticed a difference. He is limping now after the longer runs, and is a little stiff after he gets up in the mornings. It's hard to admit, but the boy is 8 years old. Most Aussies live into their teens, so he has a few good years left in him, although I think I might have to start looking for another running partner.

I think I'm going to start giving him glucosamine. The vet said it really helps, and I want to make sure that he is comfortable this winter when he stays outside in the garage during the day.

I think the arthritis bothers me more than it does him. I just have to come to terms with the idea that he isn't going to be around forever.

I'm posting pictures, just because I am in love with my dog. Deal.



2 comments:

Kevin said...

If you want a running partner you can take Jack whenever you like. He needs more exercise than I am able to give him currently. :)

ls118003 said...

Jack would be more than welcome to come with me! Oh ... and I am fostering a dog over winter break that might make a pretty good companion for Jack! She's a REALLY cute black and white aussie with a tail ...