Monday, May 7, 2007

Green is my favorite color

Gas is 3.19 at the Speedway on State Street.
The car strike continues.
I went on a run today and went to Sells park with the dogs. I don't know if you've been there, but the trails hook up to Stroud's run and it's really a beautiful little park. It's not "parky" in the sense of swingsets and sand boxes, but it has a few picnic tables, a stagnant lake, and lots of trails.
I had been running for about 25 minutes and stopped to catch my breath after a particularly large, rocky hill ... and I was struck by the absolute wonder of everything around me. I felt like I was inside an emerald. The light shining through the canopy, the shoots coming up, the new grass next to the path catching the light through the dew ... it was truly a sign of the Master's touch. The only thing that wasn't green was the brown path snaking through the new grass, and even the relief between the brown, worn path and the stark newness of the grass was just amazing. Every time I run on those trails the scenery changes. I love this time of year, because nothing looks the same no matter how often you go. I saw some beautiful wildflowers I hadn't seen before. I looked them up online and saw that they were called "Silene Virginica", or Fire Pink.


Pretty, no?? I really wish I knew more about the local flora and fauna. My goal this year is to see an Indigo Bunting. I saw one last year, and it was so breathtaking I want to see it again at least once every year. They are electric blue and an awesome example of God's artistic touch.
I mean, come on ... blue can't get much more vibrant than that. This car strike has also given me more time to appreciate God's creation while I'm walking to class. I have noticed that by walking to class in the morning, I feel less rushed, more awake, and have a better attitude throughout the day. I have a feeling that even if gas dropped to .50 cents a gallon (Please Lord, ......) I would probably still be walking every morning. It's worth it.

No comments: