Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I don't do well with blood ...

... especially when it's from my own dogs.

Riley and Copper decided it would be a good idea to get into a bloodbath fight tonight. They've been growly at each other before, but not like this.

I was throwing a stick for Riley, and Copper (the temporary foster dog) kept biting at his heels. Riley turned around and snapped at him a couple times to get him to stop, but Copper, being the big dumb, stubborn, jerk puppy that he is, kept right on biting. The third time Riley turned around, he and Copper sank their teeth into each other.

It was a fight of massive proportions, and I had my neighbor's two Rottweilers out to potty as well, so I had 4 dogs outside, 2 of which wanted to kill each other. I, of course, being the moron I am, soon realized that they were probably going to end up with some pretty massive vet bills if I didn't do something about it. I realized this about the time some blood spattered on my leg, so I started shouting at them to stop. Of course they didn't. It didn't occur to me to go get the garden hose and spray them with water (like the cartoons ... of course it would work!) so I waded into the middle of a dog fight and immediately had a set of teeth rake my arm. It didn't break the skin, but I feel like there will be a pretty wicked bruise there when I wake up in the morning.

I was yanking, yelling, shouting, doing everything in my power to get them off ... and they were latched onto each other via teeth and skin.

A few minutes later I finally just thew my entire body down on top of Copper and managed to get them separated. I got up, put the Rotties inside, tied my dogs up in the yard next to each other (but not close enough to get into another fight) and went inside. My legs are scratched, my arm is bruised, and before I showered and changed I had blood, dog hair and saliva all over my arms, my face, my shirt and my legs. It was awful.

After that I took them on a blistering run. By the end I was basically dragging them along, and now they are tied outside and I have no intention of letting them in again until I get ready to go to bed, which might be a while because I am still really fired up.

Ugh.

Anyone want 2 red Australian shepherds?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Been there, done that... it sucks. :(