Sunday, June 3, 2007

SO EXCITED!

I could not wait to get home and post this.

I've been quietly trying to get my manager from work, Rob, to come to church with me for the past several months. He found out in February I help out with Sunday school and since then he's been asking me questions about scripture and my relationship with Christ, and I've been open and honest with him thus far.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand he showed up today! I had been trying to be subtle about getting him to church with me, but since that wasn't working I just asked him last night as I was getting ready to leave Kroger, "What are you doing at 11am tomorrow morning?"

He raised his eyebrow and said, "Church?"

He's obviously a genius.

After the last song (sorry for screaming in your ear Paul ... it's one of my favorites and I couldn't help myself!!!) he just turned to me after the prayer with wide eyes and said, "Wow, Laura." He was completely, genuinely amazed at the energy and sincerity of the worship.

I think we may have another regular attendee ... but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll get really excited when the rest of the girls in his house (who also work/have worked at Kroger) show up with him. He didn't sound excited when he found out that next week the services start an hour earlier, but that was before he was blown away by the power of the Spirit moving through a congregation.

I am very excited. I work with him tonight until midnight so he'll have plenty of time to ask questions or to use me as a sounding board with what he discovered at Central today.

I am just radiant right now. I feel like I don't know what to do with myself ... I just feel like if you put me in a dark room by myself you could see God's love shooting out my fingers and toes like little beams of light. It is such a wonderful feeling to know that He might be using me to further His kingdom.

And also ... pray for Kevin and his family, because if you haven't heard, his Mom fell while walking the dog and is in intensive care in Cincinnati. I'll let him fill in the details when he gets the chance, but she had some bleeding in her brain and although as of this morning it had slowed considerably, she and the rest of the family still need to be lifted up. I wish I could make my little beams of God's love shoot all the way across Southern Ohio to Cincinnati. I guess prayer will have to do for now ... it's basically the same thing. =)

6 comments:

paul said...

some I know once said that others won't be blessed unless someone is broken and poured out...

thanks for being willing to broken...

ls118003 said...

Wow ... that must have been someone very wise!

Carrie said...

Congratulations on getting someone to come to church! I wish I could do that. My first problem is that I don't know how to approach people. Any suggestions?
~Always~

ls118003 said...

I don't know ... I am not very good at it either, but I guess persistence pays off. I wasn't in Rob's face about going to church ... I kind of let him make the decision on his own time.
I like to ask people to go to church the same way I would to go get a cup of coffee ... casually. I don't want to make it sound like they will come to church with me and have some kind of mind-blowing spiritual experience (especially my non-believing friends), because the chances of that happening are slim, especially if the person is slightly turned off by the idea of "church".
That's why I love Central ... it's so obvious that the church isn't the building ... it's the people.

paul said...

"I don't want to make it sound like they will come to church with me and have some kind of mind-blowing spiritual experience ...because the chances of that happening are slim."

Wow, can we use that for our promotional literature? "Come to Central! The chances of you having a mind-blowing spiritual experience are slim!"

ls118003 said...

Haha! That totally isn't what I meant!I guess what I really meant is that I don't want to guarantee that someone is going to have a spiritual revolution the first time they attend church, because if that doesn't happen and they're already hesitant about going, the chances of them wanting to come back are slim. I'd rather just let them come and experience it and process it on their own and encourage them to come back or at least ask questions if they have any.
Geez!! I can't even get away from you at Kroger, and now you're even giving me a hard time on my blog!!
=)