Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Yesterday

Yesterday was quite the interesting day.

I took the dogs down to the W. State street park to chase some squirrels in the early a.m., because quite frankly, I wanted them to be worn out so I could go back to bed. I was wandering around between the trees and keeping an eye on the pooches, when a college guy on a racing bicycle rode by, did a double take, and shouted "HEY ... NICE LEGS!".

I'm assuming he wasn't talking to Riley or Copper. It was partially repulsive since clearly the guy did not have the tact to keep that to himself at 8am, but part of me liked it. I think that might be the first time that someone that ISN'T my grandma (weird, huh?) has told me that I have nice legs. Not that it really matters, it just makes me feel a little more attractive than I've been feeling lately.

Everyone has those weeks where you feel crappy about yourself, and this has been one of them. It will pass ... it always does now. But having a moron on a bike shout from 200 yards away that he likes your legs is kind of encouraging, in a selfish kind of way.

I also got an email yesterday from a guy I used to date. He broke things off with me in January, and it didn't end well. I was fine with not dating him anymore, and I think that really bothered him because for a month or two he did everything in his power to make me miserable. At one point he told me he was coming over to my house to pick up all the gifts he or his parents had ever given me because "What's the point in you keeping them ... they're meaningless now, and I don't love you anymore so I don't even understand why you want them. I don't love you and I really never did, so I want them back." I told him quite plainly that if he was coming over and planning on entering my house without my permission, I was going to call OUPD. So that was the end of that. He has/had a lot of personal issues, and I think he took out his insecurities and frustrations on me. Recent ex-girlfriends are easy targets.

I don't hold it against him. I know he isn't a hateful person, and I have tried to maintain a civil relationship with him no matter how immature he has acted. He isn't a Christ follower and doesn't really have any plans to be one, so even if we were still dating I'd start calling into question whether I really wanted a future with him or not. A few weeks ago he asked me to take care of his golden retriever while he goes on a 4-week cross country trip with his friends. He brought his dog to Kroger the other night so I could visit Rocky on my break, and Rocky peed in the car he was so excited to see me. This guy has been trying to make amends with me lately in subtle ways, and I do appreciate the effort. This is part of an email he sent me the other day:

"I want to thank you again for being a good friend. That is in general, not just for taking care of rocky for me. You kind of got stuck with me in a really tough time in my life, and I think you are aware of that. I think you knew that before I did too, which sucks for me in hindsight. :( It is hard to realize you might not run again and are stuck doing some schooling that really does not interest you anymore. I am slightly rejuvenated but definitely don't want to do anything geology wise besides teach the basics. Regardless, you are a great person and it hasnt gone unnoticed. I am glad I didnt burn the bridge with you completely because I definitely think we can be with friends or something for the rest of our lives. We have too much in common and are in general awesome people to not be around each other. : ) Plus, rocky obviously needs to see you more often."

I will never date this guy again, but it's cool to know that because God helped me handle the situation with grace and patience, it paid off. I do like this guy and enjoy spending time with him, but just not as something other than a good friend. He isn't reliable and doesn't have any life goals or desire to have a relationship with the Lord. He tries to find his spirituality in running Ultra Marathons, (aka anything over 26.2 miles) and all he's going to find is blistered toes and shin splints. He'll figure that out eventually, and then wonder why he's more miserable and aimless than ever. And I'll be waiting with the answer!

No comments: