Thursday, June 28, 2007

A break from civilization

This dogsitting gig couldn't have come at a better time. I have been stewing over a lot lately, and the woman I'm sitting for lives out in the country off of new 33. She has a big old farmhouse, and there are cow pastures and hayfields all around to walk the dogs in. She has NO internet or cable, so when I'm out there it's going to be good, old-fashioned hardback books. Anyone have any good books to read? Genetics notes just aren't going to cut it.

It will be good for me to get away from things for a while and be quiet. I just want to walk around in the cow pastures with the pack of dogs I'll be living with and have some quiet time with God. I always feel closest to God when I'm around animals and his Creation, so not having access to the internet will be a good way for me to focus more on my somewhat stagnating relationship with God. I know there are ups and downs and periods of silence, just like any relationship ... but I don't want to miss what could be my only chance to really have a week where it's super easy to be spiritually focused. That is a rare opportunity for me ... I have a tendency to stay super busy all the time, which makes it easy to fall asleep at night but makes me wonder where the"God time" goes to.

1 comment:

JC said...

Enjoy your week of solitude!

God had impressed upon me during Lent this year to "cultivate silence." It was very good. I pray that you are renewed and refreshed next week!